Friday, August 14, 2009

'Cause It Feels So Empty Without Me



"Two trailer park girls go round the outside, round the outside, round the outside.
"


Well, not really, but I had to roll with the lyrics to complete the theme. I bet now you can't get that song out of your head the rest of the day.

So like the Vegas Jesus said, not much has been going on, of significance, in Pittsburgh sports over the last couple weeks. Add to that a vacation for myself, and we're left with little blogging.

Now though that we're close to both the NFL and College Football seasons, and the winding down of another stellar (yet exciting in it's own way) Pirates' season and we'll pick it up again.

So to start, of course the big news is that last night the Steelers played a "game".

A few things:

1. I haven't really been following preseason and training camp too much. Let's be honest, this is essentially the same team as last year. We have to replace a third WR and a guy or two in the secondary. Sepulveda and Mendenhall are back.

That's it. Those are your football story lines.

2. Everything else is fluff pieces. As long as they knock the rust off a bit during preseason games and nobody gets hurt, that's all August is about, and that's about all I care about training camp.

3. That being said, I watched a little of the game last night. I also found time to flip back and forth between The A-Team and Magnum P.I. on the Retro channel.

4. I said it last year, and I'll repeat it here, Sweed will be fine. He's our future #2 receiver, opposite Holmes, and Ward will be put to the slot 3rd WR (which he'll be perfect for) to play out his final days as a Steeler.

5. I want Mendenhall to do well, for fantasy football selfish reasons too, because I think he's the back of the future for the team. He did ok, but that leads me to the next point...

6. The O-Line still looked like the garbage that it was last year when we won in spite of them.

Overall though, last night was what it was, an over-hyped scrimmage, that they make season ticket holders (like me) pay full price for, but that's another gripe for another time.

One game down, 3 to go. Play like last night, stay healthy, and look forward to September 10 against the Flaming Tacks.

2 comments:

  1. Great post. Couldn't agree more with your points,especially #4.

    Being football starved like I am, I somehow ended up watching every snap while sending 8 blue soda's (Miller light) to the recycling center.

    ReplyDelete