Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Grumpy Old Men



There was an article in the P-G today about Paterno most likely getting a big lead over Bowden in NCAA D-I coaching wins. Paterno has said, when he's not been busy handing out Werthers Originals, that he doesn't want the record that way and that Bowden should keep those wins.

The issue of contention is that FSU would have to forfeit some wins from 2006-07 when they used some ineligible players. Sure, it's a cheap way to get the record, but that's the way the NCAA rolls. When ineligible players are found to have played, the NCAA strips those wins from a program. Ask UMass and Michigan basketball, and maybe soon Memphis basketball.

Me? I think that if wins are going to be taken, it shouldn't be these ones from 2006-07, but ones from years ago. As part of Bowden's wins, they are counting wins that he had at a I-AA school, Samford. I think that this record chase should only reflect wins at a D-I program.

I also think that Bowden should have to forfeit wins that he accumulated while wearing that ridiculous hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment